Quick overview on things I like and don’t like about C++11.
Things I’ve always wanted:
- Explicit overrides and final
- Better enums
- Better support for unions
- Variadic templates
- Custom literals
- Static assertions
- Things the std can do but the core language cannot. I thought C++11 would get rid of this silliness.
- No static inheritance without using templates
- No concepts. Concepts are cool.
- No improvements to macros. The only necessary thing macros are used for is #include – either improve them or get support for modules.
Everything else I like, I just didn’t know I wanted it until C++11 came out. I hope in a year or two compilers will be far enough that every new feature can be used – it sucks having so many new things without being able to use them all!